Friday 23 September 2011

For My Next Trick...


...I shall transform a tree into a piece of coral!

Over the course of clearing out our attic (a task still unfinished!) we had several ‘junk’ bags--filled with bits and pieces from play sets and toys long gone, broken toys, etc.
Being a total scavenger I rummaged through it all and hooked a whole bunch of items that had some potential!

One of those items was this:


As far as I know, it’s a Playmobil tree, from a set that belonged to my sister. The rest of the Playmobil was sent to a charity shop a long time ago; this was a leftover piece.

‘If this was white,’ I thought, ‘it would look like one of those awesome bits of faux coral I keep seeing all over the internet.’

Off I went to Wilkinson to pick up some spray paint, brought it home and over the course of the day, gave the tree several layers of paint:


Whilst I would have preferred a matte finish, the white seemed too stark a colour, so I ended up buying cream spray paint instead.

The whole point of this exercise was to make a necklace, so the next step was to add a bail. The tree had a hole in the bottom that turned out to be the perfect size for a greek spring with a hook on the end.


I put some glue on the greek spring and pushed it into the hole. After that I wound some fine-gauge wire around the bottom of the tree (which would become to top of the necklace) and added a jump ring to the hook on the greek spring.


After sliding the pendant onto a piece of suede cord, I cut it to length...


...and added some cord ends and a clasp to finish off!

Et voila!



Linking up to all the fab link parties in the sidebar =D

UndertheTableandDreaming



6 comments:

  1. That's amazing! It really does look like a piece of coral! I love how you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock! That is so creative! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How neat is that! I love it! You found the perfect piece for this project! WOW! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that! It's an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and the book suggestions! I will definitely check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Positively awesome, I love the story behind it and how you salvaged it. How cool, and the end result looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Reading all your sweet comments makes me happy! :) I appreciate each and every one and try to reply to all that I can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...