Saturday 16 November 2013

DIY Spoon Decorations





As long-time readers will know, I volunteer in a charity shop and utterly love putting together window displays! The manager had decided for the Christmas window to be done this week, so I made these unique spoon decorations from some donated spoons, to go on our Christmas tree!


Thought I’d take pictures along the way, so I can share this DIY.

This is a DIY that will require the use of power tools. Such things are scary and I am clumsy lately, so I enlisted the help of my Dad :)


You’ll need:
Small spoons (e.g. teaspoons, jam spoons, etc)
Jump rings or loose links from a chain
Thread or ribbon
Piece of kitchen towel or rag, to protect spoon when in vice

Tools:
Saw
Vice
File
Drill
Round nose pliers
Flat nose pliers
Scissors



1. Wrap the spoon handle in kitchen towel or a rag, and put in the vice. Cut the spoons in half along the handle.
If the handles are longer than teaspoons, you might need to cut out a section from the handle instead.



2. File the ends so there are no sharp edges.



3. Drill small holes in the ends.
My Dad did this bit. Thanks Dad! :D He used a standing drill rather than a hand drill.



4. Fit jump rings or chain links through the holes (open and close the jump rings by twisting sideways with the pliers!).
I used links from a bit old chain.



5. Cut lengths of thread or ribbon, and slip through the jump rings/chain links, tying the ends in a knot to create a loop for hanging.


Will be linking up to the parties listed on the link parties page! :D

1 comment:

  1. These are really cute and look easier to make than I would have thought.

    ReplyDelete

Reading all your sweet comments makes me happy! :) I appreciate each and every one and try to reply to all that I can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...